October 18-19, 2013
Registration deadline is October 9th.
The AIPG, AWG and MGWA will be running a field trip to southeastern Minnesota, Friday and Saturday, October 18th and 19th. The trip highlights the hydrologic and cultural heritage of southeastern Minnesota's karst lands. Stops will cover topics related to karst hydrology, including rapid groundwater movement and short residence times, engineering, agricultural and ecological concerns, and the unique landscape formed under conditions of dissolving bedrock.
We will be spending the Friday night at Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center in Lanesboro, with a dinner/presentation that evening at the Branding Iron in Preston honoring the life's work of Dr. E. Calvin Alexander, Jr., University of Minnesota.
The field trip will start at 8am at the 28th Ave Station park-and-ride on the light-rail line in Bloomington near the Mall of America (3 blocks away) returning by 5pm on Saturday.
We have permission to park overnight and for over 24 hours.
Friday morning pickup and Saturday drop off in Rochester will be provided for those joining the trip from the southeast.
- Rochester pickup - 2200 Silver Creek Road Northeast at the Old DNR office Map Link (turn East on intersecting road to parking area)
- Whitewater State Park - St. Lawrence sinking stream/dye trace
- Lunch at the Whitewater State Park
- Fountain Big Springs/sinkhole excavation
- Cherry Grove Blind Valley
- Root River Field to Stream Partnership – Kevin Kuehner from MDA will discuss regional nitrate monitoring at the Dornick farm site. We will be joined by Toby Dogwiler, Winona State University, to talk about near surface resistivity surveys at the site, and will visit a nearby quarry.
- Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center - check-in and overnight
- Dinner at Branding Iron in Preston
- Breakfast at Eagle Bluff
- National Trout Center - Preston
- Lunch in Preston
- Chatfield Prairie du Chien outcrop
- Rochester drop off at Old DNR office
- Return to Bloomington
The cost of the trip will be $150 which covers lodging, transportation and all meals. We will have to limit participants to the first 40 people who register (one coach bus), so please reserve your spot by registering if you would like to attend.
The registration deadline is October 9th. Participation is limited to 40 people due to the bus size.
Price includes lodging at Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center in Lanesboro, coach bus transportation and all meals.
St. Peter: $1000
All sponsors will be recognized either by name or corporate logo in the field trip guide! Funds will go towards field trip expenses with extra funds directed to cost reduction for student attendees and/or scholarship programs. Contact Sara Welna at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
This conference is designed to meet the criteria for continuing education for professionals registered with the MN Board of AELSLAGID and for well contractors as specified by the MN Department of Health.
Payment can be by: VISA/MC/Discover/AmEx, check or purchase order.
Pre-registrations must include payment.
For credit card orders, include VISA/MC/Discover/AmEx number, expiration date, and signature.
Please make checks payable to MGWA.
Purchase orders accepted.
No-shows will be billed.
By attending the conference you are giving MGWA right to have your photo taken and reproduced in MGWA materials.
For information about field trip registration, please leave a message at:
For information about field trip content and logistics, contact:
Bob Tipping (612)627-4780 x226